The history of SPbSRIVS dates back to 1938, when the serum and vaccine department at IEM was reorganized into the Leningrad Research Institute of Vaccines and Serums of the USSR Ministry of Health.
1941 - 1945
During the World War 2 and the 900-day blockade of Leningrad, the Institute continued to produce and supply antiviral drugs not only to Leningrad, army troops defending Leningrad, and the Baltic Fleet, but also to the Red Army units and regions of Russia's Northwest outside the Nazi forces encircling Leningrad.
1946 - 1969
In the postwar years, the production of antiviral drugs was taken to a new technological level and up-to-date technology was adopted.
1970 - 1976
A dedicated research and production complex was built in St. Petersburg's Krasnoselsky District and the Institute relocated there. On a 15+ ha site, research labs, production, and support facilities were built. Scientific research at the new complex allowed to launch the production of fundamentally new high-performance medications - inactivated influenza vaccine, interferon, collalisin, preparations for enzyme immunoassay, etc.